Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Windows 8 Initial Updates Stuck on Downloading at 0%

I just encountered a problem on a clean install of Windows 8 where on my initial batch of updates it spins at Downloading updates, but never goes above 0%. I had the issue on two different systems both running a clean install of Windows 8. I remembered having this problem at one point with Windows 7, and with some tinkering I got it to work on both computers.. The solution makes no logical sense but here is what I did to overcome this problem:

  1. Right click the task bar at the bottom of the screen. Then click Properties.
  2. Click Customize in the Notification area then in the bottom of that window click the check box "Always show all icons and notifications....." Then Click OK.
  3. Next click start and type services, click Settings under the search bar, and then click "View local services" on the left side.
  4. Restart the Windows Update service. (The second machine I did this on required a reboot because the service wouldn't restart).
  5. Run your updates again. 

It may take some time but this fixed the problem I was having. After the updates install you can change back the setting set in step 2.

No comments: